Sunday, December 03, 2006

Save your pennies

Dontcha just love a find? When you can say not only do you know where I found this, but guess how much it cost?! I'm a bit of a pain when it comes to price. I fear many crafters are: it comes of valuing your time and understanding about quality of materials. I have turned my back on Primark (and others of its ilk) mostly over concern about the disposable attitude to clothing and styling that it has engendered.

I don't think it is style or elegance that enables someone to see an outfit in a magazine, buy a knockoff for considerably less, wear it once, throw it to the back of the wardrobe and then rinse and repeat for the next event. Style and elegance can be achieved on a limited budget by understanding what suits you and what you have in your wardrobe and mixing and matching to create any number of new outfits.

I admit that I am biased and have the ability to create new outfits quickly and cheaply through the power of my sewing machine, but I'm sticking to my guns. I absolutely do not have a minimalist wardrobe, home or life, but I do have some plains that I can mix with my prints and some jeans that I can mix with my dresses.

I digress beyond the scope of concentration and fear I may have lost you all. The point of this posting is to announce the fabulousness that is the Bargains page of the Homes & Property Section of Wednesday's Evening Standard has been put online!!!!!

I don't think it's possible to overestimate my love of this page, not least of all because it introduced me to mirrormirror a couple of years ago and we all know where that got me. It also brings to the attention of mere mortals the kinds of treasure troves only known about by designers and stylists for years. A small child could navigate the site blindfold (which is probably how most £2 tops in Primark are made) and there are handy divisions into date, area of home and bargain and outlet of the month. The fact that it is online also saves me my 60p paper fee and catalogues all the articles for me, a job I've been meaning to do for years. DOUBLE BARGAIN!!

On an aside, Daily Candy is an email alert site that sends you details of designer discount shows and end of line events around the globe. You just select your nearest city, grab your most comfortable shoes and get your elbows sharpened.

Brace yourself, ladies, there is a world of bargains out there.

I just hope I get there first.

1 comment:

LittleDoodles said...

I love Daily Candy, I always feel like I'm the only one getting their secrets until I realise that there are probably hundreds of thousands of us sitting there getting excited about the same email!