Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Herbologist...

I long for a herb garden...

I want to be in my kitchen, knocking up a dinner requiring sage, rosemary, lemon thyme and lavender (which happens oh so frequently) and *pop* out my back door with some scissors and a basket to collect the requisite stems.

My last effort at a herb garden ended up like this...















Now, admittedly the pots are tiny. And the herbs I bought from Columbia Road flower market were too large to fit in them. And the roots that I removed to make the herbs fit in the pots certainly constituted more than half of the root ball. And there were no drainage holes in the bottom of the pots.

This was never going to be an easy road for the plants. Or, for that matter, me.

I decided I could do better.

So this weekend it started again.

I now have a basil on my windowsill in the kitchen


















and a trough of Purple Sage, Rosemary and Lemon Thyme by my back door:














I can but keep my fingers crossed...

1 comment:

Helen said...

Herbs have been a great success thanks - time isn't really an issue as it's been more a case of wack it in the trough and watch it grow. The lemon thyme was gorgeous and the purple sage really scrummy and flavourful too. I'm 'sprouting' to lavender too this weekend, hopefully!
H