Thursday, October 19, 2006

Marches aux Puces, Brussels



The Boy took me to Brussels for a week's break after my birthday to celebrate the end of my year in the city and to anticipate my return to studentdom. This was to be the last holiday abroad until at least next September... Bring on the tightening of the belts...

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I can't say enough lovely things about Brussels. The seafood is delicious (and cheap), the architecture is occassionally stunning and often incongruously striking, if not down right bizarre. I will post under separate cover about the rest of the city, but the highlight for me was without doubt the fleamarket and its surrounding area that happened every day of the week from 8am until noon near the Gare du Midi.

The photos surely speak for themselves...





The trick is to ask the price, halve it, offer that back, and then walk away. The stallholders will call you back if they need the sale enough, and you can offer as much as you think it is worth. Absolutely nothing is worth the price that is offered to you! I got six silver plated larger-than-tea-but-smaller-than-dessert-spoons, three vintage stamps for cardmaking, four china teacups for candleholders and six cards of 8 vintage buttons and all that totalled no more than about 10 euros.

J'adore les marches aux puces... More of the tour another day...

No comments: